Renovating your home will prove to be very effective in decreasing the amount of electrical appliances used around the home which may cause an overload to your electricity and completely shut down everything you rely on.
Modern technology may be placing an enormous burden on your home's electrical system. If you live in an older home, chances are your electrical system wasn't designed to handle the demands of computers, dishwashers, microwave ovens and other energy-draining modern conveniences.
And if you are planning to renovate or install a home office, make sure you upgrade your electrical system while you're at it.
If you have these warning signs, Homeservice Club experts say your system probably can't handle the load:
" Lights flicker when an appliance is turned on.
" Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow repeatedly for no reason.
" Appliances are not operating at full power.
" You use many extension cords
" Major appliances, such as the fridge, freezer, room-size air conditioner, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and furnace, are not on their own circuits.
" In the laundry room, make sure laundry room appliances are properly grounded and are plugged into outlets with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). Reduce fire hazards in the laundry room by installing a smoke detector nearby and cleaning the lint basket after EVERY load.
An overloaded electrical circuit is a dangerous thing. Play it safe and have your wiring checked by a qualified professional.